Woman standing in a doorway holding a mobile phone

Deciding to make a complaint?

Making a complaint can feel daunting and scary, and you might be wondering whether it's worth the time and effort. However, if you have problems with an National Health Service (NHS) or social care service, you need to resolve this to get the care you need. 

Knowing how to make a complaint

Making a complaint can be a daunting task, so knowing who you can complain to and what to do is essential. 

We can help you. We've worked with Healthwatch England to produce straightforward advice will guide you through the process from knowing who to talk to, top tips on what to do and what you can expect from services in response. 

Read our complaints advice

Complaints about a GP Surgery, Dentists, Pharmacies

Note: Complaint Process must be through the GP Surgery first before escalating it to NHS England.

NHS England

Email: england.contactus@nhs.net

Telephone: 0300 311 2233


From the 1 July 2023, if your complaint is about primary care services such as GPs, dentists, opticians or pharmacy services, you should contact NHS North West London.

Telephone: 020 3350 4567 (This is an automated service. Please leave a message requesting a call back).

Email: nhsnwl.complaints@nhs.net

Writing to the NHS North West London at: Complaints Manager, NHS North West London, 15 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JD.

Complaints advocacy services

Every area of England has an independent NHS complaints advocacy service funded by the local authority. They can help you make a complaint about an NHS service or work out what you want to achieve from a complaint. 

If you are a resident in Hounslow, you can receive free independent advocacy from PohWER who provide free:

  • NHS Complaints Advocacy
  • Care Act Advocacy
  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)
  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

You can contact them by one of the following ways:

Telephone: 0300 330 5471

Email: pohwer@pohwer.net

Website: www.pohwer.net/hounslow

Make a referral

Complaints about a Hospital

Patient Advice Liaison Service 

Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health matters. It provides a point of contact for patients, families and carers.

PALS do not investigate individual complaints but can give you general advice about the NHS complaints procedure.

Local PALS Services

Contact Hounslow & Richmond Community Trust PALS


0800 953 0363 

Contact Chelsea & Westminister Hospital PALS


020 3315 6727

Contact West Middlesex University Hospital PALS


020 8321 6261